Monday, June 18, 2007

Dear Old Dad



Cheers to you, Dad. To the man who has worked so hard to provide all of us with "the good life" for the last 30+ years... Thank you for giving me the loud voice and boisterous laugh that let the world know your love of life and confidence... thank you for making sure all of us had the tools we needed to succeed and follow our dreams. Thanks for taking us to Beaver games and making sure we knew the fight song by age 5, it really helped me in college. Thank you for making me appreciate "vintage" (was it the old refurbished 10 speed versus the new Huffy the neighbor had.. or the auction Ford Tempo for my send off to LA?... just strap on the mountian bike, hell, it's got a TAPE deck AND A/C!)... all taught me that "coolness" is on the INside. Thank you for being there with words of wisdom for me and great insults for my opponents or former bosses when I've lost student council elections or was fired for the first time.

As this past week has shown me part of my new, extended family in the midst of losing their beloved dad, I am reminded of all that I have been given because of my own father. I guess loss and sorrow have a funny way of making us appreciate LIFE.. and all of the gifts that come with it.. or at least it should. I have been reminded of all of the great lessons that my dad has taught me, about respect, about hard work, about teamwork and leadership, about standing for something in this world and taking care of yourself and those you love.

And I see the pressure it must be to BE a good dad. As I met and married Justin, some of his best qualities, I know, have been cultivated because of and due to being Jadyn's father. He has a huge responsibility and has taken it seriously... I see the struggle between working hard to provide all of the best, and being able to be with us during the days, and spend that time playing with her. I'm sure all dads face the same challenge... where is the time better spent?

Well, from me, on behalf of all daughters with good dads, we appreciate it all. The father daughter dances (at the Elks club with shirley temples and two straws), the athletic games and matches, even if I was the slowest one in the pool or sat on the bench the whole time, and even if I cringed with embarassment at your cheering..the graduations..the moving (5 million times)... the gas card (I sent that back, right?) the wedding... awe. Thanks for always holding my hand.

No comments: